Monday, June 20, 2011

Berry Delicious Pie!

There are many reasons you should make this pie:

1. It is delicious!
2. It's so easy...I'm talking like 15 minutes to put this baby together.
3. It's hot outside and you never have to fire up your oven to make this.
4. It's summer and fruit is cheap!

I got this recipe from my mother in law. It came from a cookbook she had and I'm pretty sure that it is an Amish or Mennonite cookbook (this is automatically a point in its favor in my opinion because those Mennonites sure can cook!). You can take a look at the original recipe here (just click on the picture to enlarge):


I have made a few variations to the recipe, namely that I use less sugar and a store bought (Aldi) graham cracker crust (mostly for convenience sake, I'm sure that the actual crust recipe is delicious).

Heat 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup water, 3 and 1/2 T corn starch and 2 T Caro syrup in a saucepan. Your mixture will first look like this:


But keep stirring and heating and it will thicken up to this:

Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in 2 T strawberry jello.

While this cools, wash and slice one carton of strawberries. I also threw in some blueberries this time too. (Note this recipe is versatile, you could make it with peaches and peach jello too.) When the mixture has cooled stir the fruit in.


Pour the fruit in your pie crust and then refrigerate until it is well set.


Top with whipped cream and enjoy!

2 comments:

Jo-Jo said...

I so forgot about this recipe! My cooking (or the lack there of) inspirations have been at an all time low these very hot days in the South. I have guests coming this evening and I am sure that Paul invited them to insure a meal for tonight!!!! Cereal for supper sounds wonderful!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

We're having company for dinner tonight and this pie will be dessert! Thanks for sharing.