Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Friday Special


I am aware that it is not yet Friday, but I had to go ahead and share this great recipe. Taziki's is a local Mediterranean restaurant and one of our all time favorite places to eat. They have so many great things on their menu, but one of the best is the delicious "Friday Special," available on Fridays, of course, and then the rest of the weekend as well due to popular demand. It is a salad with penne pasta, chicken, and a delicious balsamic dressing. I have yet to meet anyone that tried this dish and didn't love it. I was so excited to find that the Food Detective from the Birmingham News was able to procure this recipe from Taziki's itself.

I made it for dinner and it tasted just right! It came together pretty quickly and easily. This recipe also makes a huge amount. Wahoo! We can eat on it for a few days!

Taziki's Friday Pasta
Source: Taziki's Greek Fare via The Birmingham News
(Serves 6)

3 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon shallot, minced
½ cup balsamic vinegar
Juice from one lemon
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 ½ cups blended olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
6 cups mixed lettuces
1 ½ pounds penne pasta, cooked
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and cubed
2 cups feta cheese crumbled
3 tomatoes seeded and diced
1 handful fresh basil chopped

1. To make vinaigrette: Mix thyme, shallots, balsamic vinegar, lemon, sugar, Dijon mustard. Slowly whisk in oil. Add salt and pepper.

2. Place about 1 cup mixed lettuces on each plate. Toss cooked pasta with 12 ounces (or to taste) vinaigrette.

3. Toss grilled chicken with 6 ounces vinaigrette.

4. Spoon approximately 3 cups pasta onto lettuce, then add chicken.

5. Top with diced tomato, feta cheese and fresh basil, to taste.

5 comments:

Jo-Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jo-Jo said...

I love it when you and Amanda post recipes. It gives me inspiration for these hot, humid, languid days of summer when I don't want to fix a thing for dinner.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Yummmmmmm!!!! My favorite! Now I know what I'm making for dinner tonight.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Yummmmmmm!!!! My favorite! Now I know what I'm making for dinner tonight.

Jo-Jo said...

I have made this recipe twice already! It is so good and easy. I used raw beef the first time and left over steak the second time. They were both good but the raw beef was better!
Thanks!