Friday, August 26, 2011

Strawberry Banana Muffins

I love muffins! I love the way they taste and I love that they can be thrown together pretty quickly. There are also tons of options as to what to put in them. This week I wanted to make some, but realized I didn't have any of my usual go to ingredients for them...blueberries, cranberries, or multiple over ripe bananas. I did have a carton of strawberries that quickly needed to be used up and one brown banana so these were created. They were delicious and pretty too!


Strawberry Banana Muffins
Yields 1 dozen

1 cup chopped strawberries
1 mashed, ripe banana
6 T sugar
1 3/4 cups flour (I used 1 cup regular and 3/4 whole wheat)
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
a few shakes of cinnamon
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/3 vegetable oil
1/2 t vanilla

1. Mix dry ingredients.
2. Mix liquid ingredients separately.
3. Add the liquid into the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fold in the strawberries and banana.
4. Fill a greased muffin tin. Garnish the top with a heart shaped strawberry slice and a sprinkle of sugar if you want.
5. Bake at 400 for about 18 minutes.